If in case you have worked in more than one state during base period then you would be eligible to claim the interstate unemployment compensation, in addition you need to fulfill certain PA unemployment claims eligibility criteria. Generally base period is calculated as the first four months of the past five calendar quarters.
Interstate Unemployment Benefits
In order to be entitled to claim an inter state unemployment compensation in Pennsylvania:
- It is essential to have worked in the state Pennsylvania along with at least one other state.
- You can also file the unemployment claim in Pennsylvania though you are not a resident of Pennsylvania but have worked in that state.
Claims for UI Interstate Benefits
Claims for benefits or waiting-period credit shall be filed by interstate claimants on uniform interstate claim forms and in accordance with uniform procedures developed pursuant to the interstate benefit payment plan.
Claims shall be filed in accordance with the type of week in the agent state. Adjustments required to fit the type of week used shall be made by the liable state on the basis of consecutive claims filed.
Commuter is considered for a person who lives in one State but goes to another State to work.
You will be eligible for the Commuter claim if you have frequently traveled across the state to work. You will be considered as a resident of the State where you worked, in case of a commuter claim.
To obtain the benefit for your commuter claim will be determined based on the status of the state where you worked and not the state where you lived.
Process of Claiming the Compensation
- Pile Up the details of your work experience of past 18 months, which consists the details of contact address, phone number and the duration period worked.
- Call the Pennsylvania Unemployment Compensation Service Centre over phone on 888-313-7284 between 7 am to 8.30 pm on weekdays and on Sundays between 7 am to 2.30 pm.
- Provide the details of your name, work history, contact details, along with your date of birth, Social security number and tell about the *combined wage claim* (since you worked for more than one state) to executive representative.
- Once the above claiming process is done over phone, with the period of 30 days you are expected to know if you are approved for the benefit or not. If accepted your weekly benefit will also be intimated to you by mail.
- Complete your weekly claim forms as they are sent to you. Repeat this every week until you get an appropriate job.
To file an application for unemployment benefits, you will be asked to provide:
- Social security number
- PA Department of Transportation photo ID
- Alien registration number (for non-United States citizens)
- The name and address of last employer (full or part-time)
- Most recent pay stub
Combined Wage Claim and Inter-State Claim
If an individual has worked in more than one state, he may combine all of the wages earned in his base period either to qualify monetarily for benefits or to increase the amount of benefits to which he would be entitled.
Based on the interstate claim, your benefits are determined on the state you filed against, also known as “paying state.” This should also be the state where you live.
You are entitled to the amount of benefits available to workers in the paying state, even though your benefits are based in part on earnings from work in another state.
Interstate Claim of Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC)
The Emergency Unemployment Compensation program provides four tiers of unemployment extensions to applicants who have filed an interstate claim and has a different option to claim the benefit
- Visit the website of Pennsylvania labor office. Download and print the EUC extension application.
- Fill the form legibly. Sign and mention date the bottom.
- Mail the form to the address mentioned on the form.
- Access Pennsylvania’s labor office website. Make use of your current username and PIN to log in.
- Find the way to the online benefit extension application. Complete the application and check the box indicating that the answers you presented are accurate to the best of your knowledge.
- Click “Submit to send your application to Pennsylvania.
- Call Pennsylvania’s claims line. Log into the system with your Social Security number and PIN.
- Respond each of the questions that automated system asks you. Use the keypad as directed when confirming all of your answers are correct to the best of your knowledge.
- Press the proper key to submit your claim to the state.